Too often, New Year’s resolutions are all talk or short-lived action at best. Nearly half of the American population makes New Year’s resolutions, but according to the Journal of Clinical Psychology, only 8 percent actually see their resolutions through. For those seeking an opportunity to take action, Eastgate Expounders (www.eastgateexpounders.org), a decade-old, diverse, and active Toastmasters club in the Eastgate area of Bellevue, Wash., is offering a terrific opportunity to learn what Toastmasters is all about through a series of open house events that will be held during January and February at the Exponent offices in Bellevue.
“Most people go into the New Year with high hopes, yet often, with time, lose track of their goals,” says long-time club member Michelle White, ACS, ALB. “Sometimes the best way to start something new is to just jump into it. That is why we are hosting two months of Eastgate Expounders open house events. Anyone interested in getting to know a little more about Toastmasters is encouraged to join us any Tuesday in January or February.”
Open house events will take place at Exponent, 15375 SE 30th Place, Suite 250, Bellevue, WA. The events run from 12:05 p.m. to 1:05 p.m. every Tuesday in January and February 2015. Two open houses (January 20th and 27th) will be held at an alternate location: WA State Department of Ecology, 3190 160th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98008.
Three Tips for Reaching Your Goals
- Envision success, but be realistic – Start by identifying something you want to accomplish and imagine the successful result you want. Next, write down an obstacle that stands between you and your goal. Plan how you will respond to this obstacle. Go through the cycle of envisioning what success will bring you and contrast that with the obstacles in your way. Then, create a realistic plan to reach your goal, one which anticipates the obstacles you will run into along the way.
- Have a detailed plan – Plan where, when and how you will take action. Think through many if/then scenarios. By having a plan for how you will react to temptation or how you will react when you hit a rough spot, you will avoid dropping back into your comfort zone.
- Take action – Getting started on a big goal is often the toughest part. Sometimes the best way to get started is to take just one small action.
Excerpted from Michelle White’s speech, January 6, 2015: “How to avoid being a New Year’s statistic”.
Explore & Learn
- Open House: Every Tuesday in January and February, 2015, 12:05 p.m. to 1:05 p.m. at Exponent, 15375 SE 30th Place, Suite 250, Bellevue, WA 98007
NOTE: Meetings on January 20th and 27th will be held at an alternate location: WA State Department of Ecology, 3190 160th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98008
- Regular Weekly Meetings: Tuesdays, 12:05 p.m. – 1:05 p.m. Most meetings are held at Exponent, 15375 SE 30th Place, Suite 250, Bellevue, WA 98007; there will be an alternate location January 20th and 27th: WA State Department of Ecology, 3190 160th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98008. Guests/visitors are welcome; no pre-registration is required. Check the Eastgate Expounders site weekly as venue changes occasionally occur.
- Eastgate Expounders Meetup: Sign up to attend upcoming meetings and/or an open house event: http://www.meetup.com/
For more information, contact Lisa Dreher, Vice President, Public Relations, Eastgate Expounders: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Eastgate Expounders
Eastgate Expounders, chartered in January of 2005 (Club number 714760, Area 62, Division F, District 2, Region 1), is known as one of the premiere Toastmasters clubs in the Puget Sound area. During its first full year post-charter, the club achieved the prestigious President’s Distinguished Award, the highest award for the Toastmasters Distinguished Club program. Since 2005, Eastgate Expounders has consistently achieved the highest number of educational, organizational and leadership goals in the club’s annual Club Success Plan.
One of the organization’s top goals is to develop engaging public speakers. Eastgate Expounders members consistently qualify to compete in area and division speech competitions; they have won area, division, and district and competitions and have presented at the regional level. Eastgate club members have also served in a variety of leadership roles throughout the district, and two of Eastgate Expounders’ club presidents have received the District 2 Ralph Smedley President of the Year award for promoting education, membership, leadership, and competition.
The club meets weekly, from 12:05 p.m. to 1:05 p.m. every Tuesday at Exponent, 15375 SE 30th Place, Suite 250, Bellevue, WA 98007. For more information, visit http://www.eastgateexpounders.